How can AECInspire’s Title 24 module benefit your team?
This blog provides insights on how AECInspire’s Title 24 module helps in overcoming the shortcomings of traditional energy compliance checks by digitizing indoor lighting documentation.
Energy codes in US are designed to enable energy efficiency in new and existing buildings. By 2035, almost 75% of buildings in US are projected to be either new or renovated. It’s evident that energy code compliance documentation is here to stay in the AEC industry. Currently, energy code compliance documentation is a manual and time-consuming process. For instance, the Title 24 compliance forms for Indoor Lighting (per California’s Building Energy Efficiency Standards) take about 1-3 days, for a single floor in a commercial building. Hence, it is crucial to execute compliance checks efficiently to improve overall project efficiency for AEC project teams.
The two major shortcomings of the current Title 24 – Indoor Lighting documentation that result in delays are listed below:
- Inaccurate Model Data: In most cases, 3D architectural models that are available downstream for Title 24 compliance managers are not being used for Title 24 compliance calculations. This could be due to many reasons including but not limited to incorrect room assignment, missing rooms and combining adjacent spaces with different programs into a single room. This results in the compliance manager, manually editing rooms and recalculating areas. It is only after this that the compliance calculations are performed using the room data. Additionally, these room edits don’t get transferred upstream to the architectural model, therefore resulting in cyclical changes and correction in each version of the architectural model. All this can mean only one thing – more delays!
- Manual Data Entry: Title 24 forms are not configurable for default values or auto-selection, thus requiring manual data entries and selection. Needless to mention – this is a process that results in further delays!
AECInspire’s Title 24 module was designed to address the abovesaid shortcomings! The Title 24 module digitizes the process for compliance managers either through partial or complete automation as listed below:
- 3D Model Input: Both the architectural and electrical model are input into AECInspire platform, and the platform extracts all pertinent information using its robust algorithms with minimal manual intervention.
- Model Data Manipulation: The user (compliance manager) is able to quickly manipulate data including inaccurate room edits, automatic area calculations and metadata edits within the AECInspire interface..
- Auto-generation of missing rooms: Missing rooms are automatically generated on the platform, eliminating the need for manual cross-checks against floor plans.
- Smart Documentation: This is the best part! The following techniques enable smart documentation
- Auto-population of ‘primary function areas’ based on room tags
- Default value definition for lighting controls based on room attributes such as area
- Auto-population of Title 24 forms based on pre-defined formulae
- Validation checks to ensure error-free Title 24 form completion
- Easy and quick navigation across different sections of the form.
Why should you use AECInspire’s Title 24 module? Our customers report up to 50% time savings, in the Title 24 – Indoor Lighting compliance documentation. Users can unlock additional time savings by ensuring model accuracy and consistency.